For some time now, I’ve been working on a photo book called LAN Party. It began as an off-the-cuff joke tweet about wanting a coffee table book full of photos of awkward, Y2K-era teens staging elaborate in-person Counter-Strike and Starcraft battles and the response was enough for me to take the idea to a publisher. The book is now fully funded, though as of this writing you still have ten days to pre-order a copy. I’m immensely grateful to everyone who’s backed the project, contributed photos or stories, and shared it around.
Here are some links to pieces about the project:
- Dazed: LAN parties: these photos celebrate the golden age of gaming
- Ars Technica: “Just a bunch of idiots having fun”—a photo history of the LAN party
- Kotaku: A Whole Damn Book On Millennium LAN Parties
- Politico: What an AI-powered World Cup obscures
- Les Nouveaux Riches: Interview with merritt k
- PC Gamer: These incredible LAN party photos remind us how much work it used to be to play games together
I’m not yet sure if there’s going to be a retail release of LAN Party, so if you’re interested in the project then please pre-order a copy before the campaign ends.
Header photo by Matt Sweeney
Leave a Reply